Sometimes we’re in the mood to bake something simple to pass time baking and eventually munch on later. This recipe is one of our absolute favourites. It’s very easy to prepare and it tastes amazing! In this post, we’ll be going over how to bake an apple cake.
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
What you'll need:
- All Purpose Flour
- Cane Sugar
- Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- Non-dairy Milk
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Juice
- Cinnamon Powder
- Non-dairy Butter
We’re going to be starting off by prepping the apples, then the batter, baking and then finally, serving.
Preparing the apples:
- Peel all the apples and dice them into small pieces
- In a pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter has almost melted, add the brown sugar, followed by the apples.
- Cook and toss the apples a few times until they are nicely caramelized on all sides.
- If you fancy, add a pinch of cinnamon.
- Allow to cool down whilst you start preparing the batter.
Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add cane sugar (white sugar is fine as well in case you don’t have), baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg and salt. Mix together.
Add your non-dairy milk, oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon and vanilla extract and mix into a batter. Add in the caramelized apples slowly and mix. It’s important not to over-mix.
Baking the cake:
- Bake at low heat. This cake bakes for 45 minutes at 325°F (160°C).
- Take the cake out, place on a wireframe and allow to cool down completely.
- Cut the cake into two layers with a serrated knife. It is very important that you allow the cake to cool down before this step, otherwise it will crumble and it won’t look nice.
- Generously spread the jam of your liking on top of the bottom layer, and put the top layer back on.
Serve and enjoy:
The cake is best served warm, topped with vegan whipped cream or otherwise vegan ice cream.
How To Bake An Apple Cake (Vegan)
- 2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Cane Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup Vegan Buttermilk 240ml 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice + Soy Milk up to the 1 cup line
- ⅓ cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 5 Apples Peeled and Chopped
- 3 tbsp Non-dairy Butter
- ½ cup Jam
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Spray a 9×13 dish with non-stick spray and set aside.Peel the apples and then dice them into small pieces.Melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has almost melted, add a Tbsp of cane sugar, followed by the apples. Cook and toss the apples a few times until they are nicely caramelized on all sides. You can add a pinch of cinnamon if desired for additional taste. Once done, set aside to cool and proceed to preparing the batter.Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the cane sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together.Prepare your vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Leave it for a minute to allow it to curdle.Add the vegan buttermilk, oil, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to the mixing bowl and mix in properly. The batter will be thick.Add in the caramelized apples and fold in.Transfer to your prepared baking dish and smooth down.Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.Once the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool down completely.Next, cut in 2 layers with a serrated knife and spread the jam of your choice before placing both layers back on top of each other.Serve either warm or at room temperature with vegan whipped cream or vegan ice cream.
- Granny Smith Apples.
These are the best apples to use in this recipe, but you can also use whatever you have on hand.
Keep leftover cake stored in the fridge (covered) where it will stay good for up to 5 days. It can be reheated in the microwave.
We hope you found our How To Bake An Apple Cake (Vegan) post helpful. Check out our #1 Beet Juice Recipe for a delicious juice packed with numerous health benefits.